What is a double chin? It is an extra layer of fatty tissue or submental fat below your jaw. Medically, this doesn’t cause any problem. However, it can make us look bad. It can also bring down self-esteem and confidence. What is most problematic is that, while you may be able to hide body fat by wearing loose clothing, it will be impossible to hide a double chin.
The condition is quite a common condition among both young and old people. You will even find people having a triple chin.
What causes a double chin? Obesity is the most common cause. However, there can be many other causes behind it, which is why you will often find even lean people having a double chin. There are even people who develop it when they are losing weight.
Causes of a Double Chin
Here are the most common causes –
- Obesity – This is the #1 cause. When you gain weight, fat gets deposited throughout your body, including below your chin.
- Aging – Our skin elasticity begins to deteriorate as we age. This happens because we produce less collagen with increasing age. So the skin starts to sag. Prolonged sun exposure, smoking, and poor diet can worsen it further.
- Poor Posture – Poor posture can cause many problems. It can cause neck pain and spondylitis. It can also harm your platysma muscle that connects your chin and neck. The muscle’s elasticity weakens around the jowls, which makes your skin sag.
- Facial Structure – Those with a weak jawline and a recessive chin are more at risk for having a double chin. That’s because their skin will get stretched over a small area. just a little bit of fat increase or some decrease in elasticity will give them a double chin.
Genetics and health issues like a thyroid problem, kidney illness, a sinus infection, and Cushing’s disease can also be the likely causes.
Double Chin Removal Treatments
Luckily, there are several double chin reduction and even elimination treatments available, such as cold sculpting, lymphatic drainage massage, liposuction, and there are several exercises as well that can solve the problem quickly. Many of these procedures are non-invasive and non-surgical so you don’t have to be hospitalized.
Coolsculpting for Double Chin Removal
Coolsculpting or fat freezing is a non-invasive technique with little post-treatment care. It provides permanent results. This FDA-approved process is very effective for removing stubborn body fat, which won’t go away despite your best efforts.
According to the Canada-based LaserBodySculpting clinic at Toronto, “it features cryolipolysis, a process which uses controlled cooling to remove fat cells by freezing them. The procedure targets the fat cells under the skin while not harming surface skin or adjacent tissue”.
A dermatologist or plastic surgeon will use a device to freeze fat cells, which is why the procedure is also called cold sculpting. As the cells freeze, they go through the apoptosis process where they gradually die. Finally, the dead cells are removed through your lymphatic system.
Top 10 Exercises to Eliminate Double Chin
Many exercises will give you a strong chin and also help you remove the fat deposit from this area. But remember to do warm-up and stretching sessions.
- Fish-Face – Suck up air into your cheeks and lips. Your face should look like the mouth of a fish when you do. Hold this position for five to ten seconds. Relax. Repeat several times a day.
- Stretching the Neck – Sit comfortably. Turn your neck to the right slowly and hold the posture. Return to the normal position. Now, look upward. Turn your neck in the other direction and hold. Come back to the neutral position. Now, look down and try to touch your upper chest with the chin. Repeat this exercise five to ten times daily. This exercise to eliminate double chin will tone your neck muscles. It is also called the Lord Brahma or Brahma Mudra pose.
- Straight Jaw-Jut – Tilt your head back. Look at the ceiling. Push your lower jaw forward. At this time, you will feel a stretch below the chin. Hold this position for 10 seconds. Relax. Return to the normal position. Do this exercise ten to fifteen times daily.
- Blow Air – Sit comfortably. Look upward to the ceiling and blow out air from your mouth for 15-20 seconds while holding the lips together. Relax. You can do this exercise several times daily.
- Ball Exercise – Stand or sit comfortably. Keep a small squeezable ball under your chin and squeeze it slowly with your chin. This double chin reduction technique can also be done 15-20 times daily.
- Chewing Gums – Your facial muscles will get stronger if you chew gums. The double chin will also go away. Some people may experience jaw pain. But it’s nothing to worry about. Also, if you chew gums, your craving for junk foods will go down, which will help you lose weight. Your double chin may go away naturally.
- Tongue Stretch – Look ahead and stick out your tongue as far as you can. Now, lift it upward and try to touch your nose. Hold the position for ten seconds. Release. Repeat 5 times.
- Simha Mudra – Sit with your legs folded behind. Keep your palms on your thighs. Your head and back should be straight. Stick your tongue out. Stretch as much as you can without straining too much. Take a deep breath and exhale, while roaring like a lion. Repeat this exercise 5-6 times.
- Whistle at the Sky – This is simple. Just look up and whistle at the sky or ceiling. The pose will tighten your lips and also strengthen the muscles of your chin, which can help you avoid a double chin.
- Say OO-EE – This fun activity will help you burn the chin muscles naturally. Focus on exaggerating your facial movement. It targets the muscles between your nose and upper lip.
Other Ways for Double Chin Reduction
Several other options will help you eliminate double chin like the lymphatic drainage massage, which is also called Manual Lymphatic Drainage or MLD. According to Wikipedia, this “is a type of massage based on the hypothesis that it will encourage the natural drainage of the lymph, which carries waste products away from the tissues back toward the heart”. It improves blood circulation, reduces fluid reduction, and drains the toxins from your face.
There is also liposuction where a plastic surgeon will remove the extra fat from below your chin. It will also tighten your neck muscles, giving you a firmer neck and chin area.
Diet and exercises will also help you lose the double chin naturally.